Skip to main content
#
The Parish of the Holy Family
Home
Funerals & Cemetery Info
Precana and Weddings
Faith Formation
Liturgy &  Music
Ministries
Resources
Picture Gallery
Parish Mission Statement 
 We, the members of Holy Ghost Church, aware of our Baptismal call to live by Gospel
values and nourished for that life by the Eucharist, strive to be a faith community that
is collaborative with other churches in making Christ's Kingdom a reality in this time
and place. We commit ourselves to prayer, encouragement of one another,
open inquiry, service, and social justice.

 

Holy Ghost Parish History

1865-1875

Mission station served by Redemptorist order

1875

First church cornerstone laid and blessed by Bishop Bernard McQuaid, first bishop of Rochester

July 3, 1876

Holy Ghost Parish incorporated, Coldwater, New York; Fr. August Kraus, first resident pastor

1877-1908

Parish reverts to chapel mission status; served by 7 nonresident pastors during this time

May 1906

Cornerstone of present church laid and blessed by Bishop McQuaid

August 1918

School Sisters of Notre Dame assumed teaching duties at Holy Ghost School

July 1926

Holy Ghost Parish celebrates its Golden Jubilee

October 26, 1938

School building that was formerly the old church burned to the ground

January 1, 1939

New school cornerstone laid

April 21, 1939

School building consecrated by Bishop J.E. Kearney

1945

Church renovated and redecorated by one of the nation's leading ecclesiastical artists

1954

New addition added to school that presently accommodated grades 5-8

August 22, 1958

Lourdes Grotto, donated by the Joseph Entress family, is blessed by Bishop Kearney

1958

New Convent for School Sisters of Notre Dame completed

December 1968

First Pastoral Parish Council established

April 1973

Renovation and enlargement of church

June 6, 1976

100th Anniversary Mass celebrated by Bishop McCafferty on Pentecost Sunday

1978

New organ installed in church

1987

New ceiling installed in church

May 1988

Community playground built

June 1993

Holy Ghost School closes after 128 years of Catholic education

October 1994

Holy Ghost Cemetery landscaped with trees and shrubs

 

Holy Ghost Pastors

1876-1877

August Kraus

1877-1879

Frederick Rauber

1879-1880

Henry Egler

1880-1888

Matthias Hargather

1888-1890

M.D. Mussmacher

1890-1894

Herbert J. Stratton

1894-1901

Jacob F. Staub

1901-1908

John M. Boppel

1908-1936

Peter Erras

1937-1943

Joseph Warren

1943-1968

Albert J. Geiger

1968-1979

Edward Steinkirchner

1979-1989

Gennaro Ventura

1989-2000

Alexander H. Bradshaw

2000-2004

Albert L. Delmonte

2004-2010

Thomas Nellis

2010 -

Michael Schramel

The Parish of the Holy Family
4100 Lyell Road
Rochester, NY 14606
585-247-4322

Site Powered By
eDirectHost, Web Site Builder